Monday, October 25, 2010

HAPPINNESS AT WORK

DIORIS REYES                                                                                   10/25/10
   ENG 101                                                                                 


                                          "HAPPINNESS AT WORK"


           You can gain happiness when you really enjoy what you do at work. Many events in an individuals life can have a very significant effect in the way they end up as a person, events of great inspiration, or even periods of desperation. Joy, disappointment, but mostly learning experiences can shape one's life in ways that might have changed the course of their future and made them who they are today.


             My life has been a very work-oriented one; most of my life my "occupation" has been receiving my education. However, I have been working most of the time even when I'm still attending school; my current job has had a certain effect on me. My job has molded me into someone different, someone who has learned how to become more responsible. The great thing that my job has and the reason why I enjoy it so much is thus it gives me the opportunity to be able to fly for free. Even though, my job could be very stressful, tiring and mentally esausting. Over three years ago I was giving the job as a customer service agent for US Airways Express at La Guardia Airport; and very proud to say that this job had satisfy my expectations. I consider myself multi-tasking, very tolerant to many different attitudes, problem solving and have a lot of patience; In addition I'm also a very affable person who loves to interact with others; meeting new people and having the opportunity to share our interests, and points of view. Working for an airline can be very irritating, you need to be able to work and function under stress and pressure, delays and opposition. I personally love to excel in adversity situations in which allows me to assist others; as a customer service agent at US Airways Express I have faced many situations every single day.

              My biggest responsibility is to maintain our reputation in customer satisfaction at all times; in order to be competitive with other airlines and our legacy counter parts, as a employee it is my duty to keep our reputation of on-time performance and reliable baggage delivery. Mostly important, is to have a good and fun working environment at your job because to me my job is my second home in which I spend most of my time other than home; I have a different environment at my job everyday thus you don't see the same people all the time. Another reason, why I'm very happy at work is because I'm able to be who I am consistently friendly, outgoing, and helpful very smart too. When you are always happy and enjoying life it is contagious and that's a fact; as Robert M. Pirsig writes, "Happiness is not merely contingent on what we do or where we are but on what we choose to perceive." My satisfaction is granted when I see my customers happy and enjoying while they are waiting in the boarding area for their flight, therefore when I'm working a flight I like to provide my customers with accurate and precise information so they will feel welcome and appreciated for their business.

              My main task for me when I go to work everyday is to provide outstanding customer service in a potentially difficult situation such as the following. For instance, this is a regular business day for me in US Airways Express at La Guardia Airport. Furthermore, in this particular day we were having bad weather conditions coming towards the area of New York later on that day and unfortunately we are unable to control "mother nature", so we were having a lot of delays due to weather conditions. While I was standing at my podium doing my job and making sure everything was under control; I was filling all the paper work for the flight that I had recently boarded and closed. Few minutes later a customer approached my podium in a very irritating mood thus he was just advised that he had missed his connecting flight out La Guardia due to his late arrival at the airport because the flight that he was on got delay do to weather and heavy air traffic. By the time he arrived at my gate it was too late his flight was closed already; after I addressed him the situation and reasons for his flight he started acting very aggressive towards myself. Immediately I put myself in his shoes at that moment so I listed to what he needs to say, then few minutes later he said to me "I came straight here for my connecting flight. Why didn't you hold the flight?" First, "I apologize for any inconveniences may cause to you ", and acknowledge the person with attentive and open body language; allowing me to empathize with the customer by saying the following, "This is obviously a huge inconvenience to you". Let's see what flights we have available and rebook you to your final destinations". Afterwards he apologize for his aggressive manners towards myself, he felt very frustrated at the time.



             Finally, working on what you love to do is the best thing that can happen to someone, even though that having a job requires a very high level of responsibilities. I'm very satisfied and happy with my job which had offered me the opportunity to do what I most enjoy and that's to fly all over visiting new places. Through the time I have learned to suppress my own temper with time and patience, but the most important I stay happy and stress free at my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment